Friday 3 May 2019

Top End Wedding

This is a cute piece created by Miranda Tapsell as a vehicle for herself as a young aboriginal businesswoman whose plans for a romantic hometown wedding are disrupted when her mum leaves her father, destination unknown. Pursuing her mum with her fiancĂ© by her side, she ends up travelling all round the top end as she gets a better understanding of her mother’s heritage.

This does suffer from a couple of the clichĂ©s of romantic comedies – there’s a few too many cases where people who are meant to be in love with one another end up delaying crucial conversations way too late, there’s some wedding planning that bears very little resemblance to how an actual wedding would be planned, and some of the humour wanders towards the blatantly obvious. But between the incredibly likeable cast, the gorgeous scenic vistas of the Top End, a joyous spirit and a deep heart, this gets away with a whole lot of things that, if I were wearing my overanalytical critic hat, I would have issues with. I think this may very well fall into the category of “movies I know are probably filled with flaws but I love anyway” alongside last year’s “Mamma Mia Here I Go Again”. It’s a film whose fundamentally sweet nature make it difficult to argue against.

No comments:

Post a Comment