Saturday 15 February 2020

Fantasy Island

Look, in many ways this is a mediocre horror movie stapled onto a pre-existing property (the 1970s anthology-by-stealth series where various guest stars experienced "be careful what you wish for" fates on a weekly basis). This time Michael Pena takes over the Montalban mantle, keeping suitably mysterious as our master of ceremonies, with a bunch of middling actors mostly with CW backgrounds as the guests, And yeah, this is, to a certain extent, gory soap opera - but dammit, I liked that in the late 90s and I like it now. There are a tonne of dumb twists piling up here, and I can't guarantee some character behaviour makes a lot of sense ... but never the less, I didn't actually hate this, for reasons that probably say more about me than they do about the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment