Saturday 31 October 2020

Monsterfest 2020

 This is my second go at seeing a film festival after Fantastic Fest, and it's difficult for anything to quite live up to Fantastic Fest's mix of access, variety, planning and programming - certainly in these COVID times, a couple of rejiggles of the programming meaning I wasn't seeing it in Melbourne, as planned, but in Sydney, and ending up booking for five films over a weekend rather than, as originally expected, a week and a half of around a dozen slots. 

Still, this wasn't a bad mix of films, though I did get a little annoyed that things ended up split over two weekends, only one of which I could schedule - meaning I did miss a couple of films I would have liked to have caught. Still, of the five, there was only one disappointment (Violent Fun, a generic 80s slasher throwback), two stone-cold classics (Possessor and Psycho Goreman, both excelent examples of their type), and two cases of middling fare (the doco Leap of Faith is a bit more bundle-of-anecdotes rather than deeply probing documentary, and Breeder is brutally direct in telling a grotesque story unrelentingly -it's well done but too grim for easy viewing). I'd definately go again but my expectations have been brought down a tad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment